Our Image is very important to our success. Your positive attitude, guest interaction and how you care for your appearance will have a major impact on the overall impression you make. Therefore, it is important that every employee portray a professional appearance that is acceptable and welcoming to guests from all over the world. We expect all employees to adhere to our prescribed Appearance Standards that reflect the Universal CityWalk brand.
It is important to understand that the appearance standards below are guidelines and do not replace good judgment. If you have any questions you must ask your Supervisor or an HR representative. Your department may have additional appearance standards that will be outlined to you during your onboarding.
- Visible tattoos are allowed for employees who interact with guests, subject to the following conditions:
– Tattoos are not permitted on hands, face, neck or head.
– Visible tattoos are defined as those visible when wearing the standard issued uniform.
– The use of bandages, wristbands, make-up or other items to cover tattoos is not permitted.
- Tattoos that the Company may deem a violation of our anti-discrimination and harassment policies are not allowed. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that may be perceived as discriminatory based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, creed, age, sexual orientation or any other basis proscribed by applicable non-discrimination laws.
Hair must be neat and clean in appearance. Many hairstyles are acceptable and it is not possible to address every acceptable hairstyle or what constitutes neat and clean grooming. Therefore, it is every employee’s responsibility to adhere to the guidelines below.
Hair Guidelines (Male & Female):
- May not cover the eyes and all styles must be neatly groomed.
– No partial shaving of the eyebrows or head. Completely shaved heads are acceptable for men.
- Beads are permitted if they finish the braid and must be complimentary to the wardrobe.
- All food service employees must wear hair restraints, per the department uniform policy, so that their hair does not possibly contact exposed food, clean equipment, utensils, linens, and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles.
- Beards must be fully-grown and well groomed. “Fully grown” is defined as completely covering the skin. “Well groomed” is defined as trimmed hair that is natural to chin and jaw line and not exceeding ½ inch in length.
- Goatees are acceptable.
- Mustache must be neatly trimmed.
- Sideburns must be neatly trimmed and cannot be extreme.
Nails & Makeup (Male & Female)
- In accordance with FDA requirements, and for the safety of our guests and employees, food service employees may not wear fingernail polish or artificial fingernails.
- Nails should be all in one length, clean, trimmed and no longer than 1/8 inch beyond the fingertips
- Makeup is not permitted except for specified entertainers.
- Nails should be all in one length, clean, trimmed and no longer than 1/2 inch beyond the fingertips.
- Makeup must display a professional image.
- Jewelry and accessories may not affect the ability to effectively interact with our guests.
- Two separate earrings per ear lobe are acceptable.
– Earrings may not be larger than 1 inch in diameter.
– Posts and spacers are permitted. They must not exceed 1 inch in diameter.
- Visible facial, body, and tongue piercing is not permitted with the exception of a small stud nose earring.
- Up to two pieces of jewelry per wrist are acceptable.
- Up to two rings per hand may be worn.
- Necklaces may not be worn on the outside of the uniform.
- Buttons, pins or badges must be approved in advance by your Department Manager.
- In accordance with FDA requirements, and for the safety of our guests and employees, restaurant cooks and stewards may wear a plain ring, such as a band, while preparing food and one stud earring on each lobe up to ¼ inch in diameter. No other jewelry is allowed, including watches and medical information jewelry, on the arms and/or hands.
- Upon discretion of unit Management to approve – any Posts or Spacers worn by employees in kitchen areas must be proven that they are secure and could not fall out while working. Management has discretion to reject any spacers or posts should they become distractive/offensive to guests or other employees, or create an unsanitary potential risk in a kitchen environment.
- Please refrain from the use of personal mobile communication or electronic devices (i.e. cell phones, text messaging, direct connect access, Bluetooth earpieces, MP3 players, iPods, etc.) in guest view. It is also prohibited while working (not on an authorized break or lunch), whether or not in guest view. These devices must not be visible and are to be in silent mode at all times. Company-issued devices used for business reasons are permitted. In no way should electronic devices interrupt your interactions with guests or fellow employees.
- Appropriate undergarments must be worn and must not be visible (except for t-shirts).
- Due to the close contact you will have with our guests and co-workers, we expect everyone to be neat and clean and practice good physical and oral hygiene.
- Chewing gum and eating in guest view are not permitted.
Medical Restrictions and Religious Accommodation Requests
Requests for an exception to the Universal CityWalk appearance standards for medical or religious reasons must be presented to your Human Resources representative.
The company reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.